with the latest update the Xperia Arc got a lot of additional junk apps, some of them run always and slow the phone down due running in the background and using RAM and CPU power.
So I'm writing a tutorial for you to remove these unnecessary apps.
How to delete the junk apps:
Go into "system/app" with Root Explorer, in that folder are all the junk apps. Now press "Mount R/W". Now you can delete the junk apps one by one or multi-select them. To have a backup of the apps, I'd suggest you to move them to the sd card. It's good to make a folder called "Junk Apps - 4.0.A.2.368" on your sd card.
Now select the apps, press move and go to the sd card and to the folder "Junk Apps - 4.0.A.2.368" and press paste. Done.
List of the junk apps:
- chinesetextinput.apk (chinese keyboard)
- datamonitor.apk (datamoitor widget)
- Home.apk (SE launcher, only delete this when you have another launcher installed!!)
- IddAgent.apk (Anonymous Usage Stats)
- JapaneseIME.apk (japanese keyboard)
- letsgolf_A_353.apk (Let's Golf HD)
- neoreader.apk (Neoreader)
- OmaDatasyncService.apk (part of SE Sync)
- playnowclientarvato.apk (Play Now)
- POBoxSknPink.apk (skin for chinese keyboard)
- POBoxSknWood.apk (skin for chinese keyboard)
- SemcCrashMonitor.apk (Crash Monitor)
- SEMCSetupWizard.apk (Setup Wizard)
- Stk.apk (SIM Tool Kit)
- Sync.apk (SE Sync)
- SyncWizard.apk (part of SE Sync)
- touchnote.apk (postcard app)
- trackid.apk (Track ID)
- UpdateCenter.apk (Update Center. Will remove "softwareupdate" from phone information in settings)
- usersupport.apk (Support)
- widgetdigitalclock.apk (small digital clock widget)
- widgetonoff.apk (most on/off widgets)
- wisepilot.apk (Wisepilot)
- storefront.apk (all the new stuff that has something to do with Fun&Downloads. Removes 3 items from the app drawer that belong to that game thing)
List for 4.0.1.A.0.283 + 4.0.2.A.0.42/.58/.62:
I've removed all these apps from my Xperia Arc and it's running really fine and faster than before. Plus you have more free RAM so your apps don't get killed as fast anymore when you minimized them.
There might be more apps that are removable without bricking the ROM, but then you lose some functions. If you want to do that you can use the link I posted below.
If you want to remove even more, here's another good list but some new apps are missing.
This might also work on the Xperia Neo and Xperia Play when they are on 4.0.A.2.368, too. But I can't test that.
Do this at your own risk. I'm not responsilbe if you brick or damage your phone by doing this!
Edited by Flo95, 02 January 2012 - 06:34 PM.