I would like to make a database of these FAQ's and then gather all the fixes at once. Then an admin could make a module so that when you register and choose your phone, you can see the common errors or mods for it (I am assuming that most members sign up for help) . My hope is that this will greatly reduce the number of topics on the same subject.
So, 2 questions:
- Good idea?
- But more importantly, who wants to help me?
List of known/worked on entries:
Please make sure you know what DB and CID your phone model is before attempting any of these tutorials.
- What DB is my phone? Solution: look it up in SE-NSE's model list
- What CID is my phone?
- DB2010 possible CID's: 29/36/49/50
- DB2020 possible CID's: 49/51/52/53
- DB3150 possible CID's: 49/52
- DB3210 possible CID's: 49/52/53/80/81
- DB3350 possible CID's: 53/80/81
Check your CID with XS++/A2Uploader
- A2V1: DB3150 R1XXXXXX FW revision. A2V2: DB3150 R3XXXXXX FW revision. DB3200, DB3210 and DB3350 are also A200 phones.
- Flashing - Solution: the commonly-used notion of flashing on this forum is similar to reinstalling an operating system on a pc. Flashing means uploading new firmware files on your phone, to (generally) make it more stable. Most software errors can also be fixed by flashing.
There are a lot of programs available that allow you to flash your phone:
- An automatic flashing program is 's own Sony Ericsson Update Service (SEUS). This program will download and flash the correct files for you.
- There are also manual flashing programs. These are often platform dependent and they require a manual input of files. These programs are more popular by modders as they give you more control over the flashing process. Examples of these are XS++, JDFlasher, SETool2Lite & A2Uploader.
- Patching - Solution: patching is the process that allows you to enter pieces of raw code (in HEX format) in the firmware of your phone. Patches come in the .vkp file format, which is text-based. Patches replace existing data with modded data so the functionality of the phone can be altered/extended. Patches can do virtually anything on the phone, within limits of the hardware. Patches are phone and firmware (FW) dependant. Although patches are created for a specific phone and FW, they can also be used on other models/FW if they are ported. The code then needs to be altered so it matches the new firmware.
Example of a patch:
;Phone Model - FW version ;Description of patch ;Creator/porter of patch +44140000 (base address in the firmware) 0000 A4E6
(the first 2 bytes are the original values, the next 2 bytes are the values that will replace the original)
Copy-paste code like this in Notepad and save as all files with .vkp extension. Lines that start with ; won't be patched in the phone.
- FS modding - Solution:
- FS? The Filesystem or FS of a phone is a partition on your phone that holds all configuration files and drivers needed for the phone to operate properly. For safety reasons, this partition is not accessible by default (you could do great harm if you delete vital files). A FS image can be flashed with flashing programs like XS++, SETool2Lite, JDFlasher and A2Uploader.
- FS modding? The files in the FS can of course be altered, and files can be added. Popular FS modding is changing the drivers of the phone's hardware, enhancing its capabilities (e.g. sound and picture quality). Other popular things is adding flash menus, Walkman skins or editing the menu structure of the phone.
- Acoustics: acoustics are sound drivers for the phone. Using modded acoustics, the phone can be made louder, or sound quality can be improved. Depending on the hardware platform of you phone, the acoustics have a different format (DB2010: .apf - DB2020: .zapf - DB3150 v1: .wbxml - DB3150 v2, DB3210, DB3350: .wbxml + .csv).
- Camera drivers: camera drivers can improve image quality. The driver is dependent of the camera module in the phone (list of camera modules)
- Unlocking - Solution: some operators lock their phones. This means the phone will only accept SIM-cards by the operator it is locked to. A popular example is AT&T locking their iPhones. Locking isn't merely an iPhone fenomenon: phones can also be locked. Depending on your phone model, there are a lot of unlocking possibilities, some of which are free, others aren't.
- DB2010: free patch unlock
- CID52: free patch unlock
- CID53: Any CID patch unlock (if you have a SIM-card from the operator the phone is locked to) / paid unlock
Unlocking - Solution: patch unlock with Simox Autopatcher - ( Tutorial )
- DB3150: Omnius (not free) / 4SE(not free)
- CID52: Omnius (not free) / 4SE(not free)
- CID53: Omnius (not free) / 4SE(not free)
- Flash drivers - Solution: in order to let modding programs interact with your phone, they will need the correct drivers. These are called flash drivers, as opposed to 'phone mode' drivers and 'USB mass storage' drivers. Tutorial
- Terminology - Solution: Quickstart
- WSOD (White Screen Of Death) - screen blinking white - Solution: try to update your phone's firmware with SEUS. If the problem persists, flash both the Main and the Filesystem with XS++.
- Camera key not working on W810 - Solution: hardware repair / camera shortcuts elf (download here) - needs elfpack!
- Flash menu (W810, K750/W800) - Solution:
- W810: Upload the .swf files to tpa/preset/system/desktop/flash/. The files must be 176x220 and FL1.1
- K750/W800: You can not use flash menus. Use animated gif menus instead.
- Patching 36/49/50 - Solution:
- Flashing - Solution: Download FW matching your CID and EROM colour. You will need a .mbn and a .fbn file and at least customize.xml. This last file is available on the internet known as a custpack. You will need to put customize.xml in tpa/preset/custom/ with FAR Manager/XS++/SETool2lite after a succesful FS flash, because otherwise the phone will display a configuration error on start-up.
- Changing acoustics - Solution: use .apf files, and upload to ifs/settings/acoustic/
- Screen problems with flip phones (white screen/distorted display/...) - Solution: reflash, if it didn't solve, bring it to a Service Center
- REST files for SETool2Lite - Solution: make REST file for your FW with make_rest.exe
- K750/W800 flashed to W810 errors - Solution: restore backed up GDFS / Use OTP patch / Bring it to a Service Center
- ElfPack - Solution: Install patchloader and library (see DB2010 patching for tutorials on patching)
- Unlocking - Solution: patch unlock with Simox Autopatcher - need tutorial
- Patching - Solution: same as CID50 on DB2010: Any CID (Tutorial) - patching DB2012 is not a guaranteed success: it may take a few tries before the phone decides it wants to be patched.
- Flash menus
- 'Operation failed' on entering games/applications - Solution: First try restarting the phone. If it doesn't work, reflash FS
- EROM failure - Solution: CID52: 'repair/unlock' with SETool2Lite / CID53: paid fix by D-Ultimate Unlocker
- Patching CID49/51/52 - Solution: SETool2Lite 1.11 with Quick Access patch (Tutorial)
- Patching CID53 - Solution: Any CID (Tutorial)
- Flashing CID49/51/52 - Solution: XS++ 3.1 (Download here - Tutorial)
- Flashing CID 53 - Solution: XS++4.1 / JDFlasher
- Hardware errors on W580: keyboard cracks/screen - Solution: manual fix (get parts from eBay or cnn) or Service Centre
- K-series flash menu - Solution: Only K770 and K850 support flash themes. Other K-series phones must be flashed with W-Series firmware to enable FlashLite support and patch fixes will also be necessary.(Crossflashing reference guide)
- Quadband on K800 - Solution: GDFS editing (Tutorial) - Unsure if this works!
- GDFS error after flashing K800 to K790 - Solution: a) if you have a GDFS back-up, restore it (restoring can be done on CID52 with XS++ or SETool2Lite, CID53 users have to use JDFlasher with these values - CID52 users can use JDFlasher too if desired). b) If you don't have a GDFS back-up, bring it to a Service Centre
- Duplicate games/applications - Solution: reflash FS / Boysie's method / method 3
- Strange screen after flashing W580 (Example) - Solution: keep reflashing again and again till the problem goes away
- Elfpack - Solution:
- Normal elfloader:
- Create ZBin folder in phone memory/other. Inside, create a folder called Config.
- Create ZBin folder in memory card/other. Inside, create a folder called Daemons
- Copy dyn_const.bin to phone memory/ZBin/config
- Patch your phone with the elfloader and library.
- Copy .elf files in the ZBin folder on the phone memory and press start to start the elf.
- If you want .elf files to auto-run when you start the phone, copy them in memory card/other/Zbin/Daemons.
- UPDATE: for v1.999 use the following tutorial: Elfpack installation
- Tartes elfloader: Tutorial
- Normal elfloader:
- Patching - Solution: A2 Runtime Patcher / Permanent patching
- CID53 patching: Tutorial
- Warning: CID80/81 phones cannot have their certificate changed to BROWN, so use A2 Runtime Patcher to patch these phones.
- CID53 patching: Tutorial
- Flashing / Debranding - Solution: flashing with A2Uploader / 4SE / Sony Ericsson Update Service / PC Companion / Wotan server
- FS modding - Solution: A2Uploader / SEFP2
- Unlocking CID52/53 - Solution: Omnius, 4SE
- A2V1 phones restarting (W910, K660, K850, G502,...) - Solution: Sadly, these phones have got buggy firmware and has decided not to fix it. To reduce the amount of restarts, flash to R1FA03x, but your phone will remain unstable
- K850 touch keys not working - Solution: first try flashing, if they still don't work, manual hardware repair or Service Centre
- K850 does not start anymore and shows a blue ring on camera when trying to power up (Blue Ring Of Death - Brod) - Solution: Tutorial
- C510 screen flickering/duplicate screen - Solution: lock the phone and let the screen turn off
- W705/W715/W995 screen flickering - Solution: most probably damaged flex cable
- Changing font size for text input - Solution: Edit fontengine.xml(LINK)
- 3G only without patching: LINK
- Changing font on Cedar(or any other db3350): LINK
- Animation sms in cedar: LINK
- ShakeMe without holding the key (W580/A2V1/A2V2) - Solution: W580 - A2V1- A2V2
- Service Menu code - Solution: '>*<<*<*' (>=right, *=star button on keypad, <=left). Ignore any shortcuts while entering the code!
- Model list
Problems in this section apply to problems for advanced users (those who already know how to patch/flash/etc.)
- Media doesn't show songs any more - Solution: remove delete podcast folder patch. UPDATE - use the fix version of this patch
- Text labels show HEX info instead of text labels - Solution: use a .lng file for your FW version. E.g. if you are on R1GA026, don't use R1FA035 .lng files but use only R1GA026 .lng files. You can get these files out of an extracted FS.
- Random reboots when using elfs - Solution: make sure you are running the latest version of the elf that is causing trouble, and that you have all necessary functions in your library